Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sepia Saturday- Clang, clang, clang went the house!

This is my Uncle Glenn's house in Chicago.
The copy says : Commuters waiting for a streetcar at 104th and State wonder if they are "off their trolley" when a two story frame house comes rollin' down the track. But it's only moving day for the Glenn Finwall family. Last April, Finwall purchased building for $500 after it was marked for razing. Today, movers  start nudging house to 98th and Eggleston from original site at 104th and Michigan.

I remember this house well. My sister and brother and I had many good times there. In the upstairs there was a large playroom between the bedrooms at either end of the house. My cousin, Carol Ann, and I spent many hours playing with paper dolls, many of which we made ourselves. She was a wonderful artist and I think this is where I got my love of art. This may have been the start of my whole career in the art field. I wish I could thank her but unfortunately she died when she was in her early 20's.
Jackie, Danny, Carol Ann and ? on their front porch.

Uncle Glenn and Aunt Phyllis enjoying their back yard.
Her brothers, Danny and Jackie (now known as Glenn Jr. and Jack) were also fun playmates for my younger sister and brother. Their mother, my Aunt Phyllis was a wonderful aunt. She had a freezer in the basement which she kept stocked with popsicles. She loved to go to auctions and find bargains. I think I was also influenced by this because I love garage sales and thrift stores.

If you follow my blog you'll have met my Uncle Glenn. He was the one who, as an eleven year old, saved his family in a car wreck.  He also became a wonderful artist in his later years.
You can see his art here

To see more Sepia Saturdays Click here

11 comments:

DougVernX said...

Wow they actually used trolley car tracks to move a house. That's very resourceful. Carol Ann was such a popular name in the 40's and 50's My sister's name is Carol Anne. I have two good friends by the same name. One spells it with an "e" at the end. The other does not. I get confused sending them cards. lol.
Yes I do remember the post about your uncle that saved his family, That was a great post. Hope you have gotten that poem out of your head by now. haha Very nice post. Thanks for sharing.

Jinksy said...

I wonder what kind of foundations a house has, that will allow it to be moved in that way? Fascinating photo.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

There certainly doesn't appear to be much support under the house for removal, a great story and interesting photos and story.

Alan Burnett said...

What an extraordinary story - and an amazing newspaper cutting to go with it. I remember Glenn from previous posts, he certainly seems to have had an extraordinary life. Great Sepia Saturday material

Bruno Laliberté said...

i was always in awe how one could move a whole house...
:D~
HUGZ

Elizabeth said...

I love eves-dropping on other families' memories!
Loved this post.

L. D. said...

This is such a unique and wonderful story. I really enjoyed seeing the house saved.

tony said...

It Adds A Whole New Meaning To "Moving House"!& How Great To Have The Newspaper Clipping! Amazing.

Christine H. said...

How wonderful that you still have the newspaper clipping. I also love that they moved the house on the streetcar tracks. I can't think of a better way to do it! We have had some houses around here moved to make way for condo projects and what not. Usually the house is offered for free, but you have to move it. One of the biggest expenses is having utility lines taken down temporarily so the house doesn't run into them.
Great post!

Nancy said...

I've always wondered about having a house moved, especially whether its integrity was compromised by the juggling it would have done. It looks like this house suffered no damage by the move - if people lived in it. Fun post.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Happy and sad memories of your relatives. Sad that your favorite cousin died so early. Interesting the moving of the house. We sold a big wooden house which was moved from our grazing property onto the highway to a small village about 30km away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails