Sunday, January 31, 2010

From the L.A. Art Show and Zentangles

Here's a couple of the artists that were represented at the L.A. Art Show.
These first two pieces are by Oh, Kyong-Mi. I didn't notice it at the time but my latte photos from my last post must have been taken with these in the back of my mind.
Hers are ART, though.

After our Zentangles class we saw Zentangles everywhere, in tile patterns, carpet patterns, nature, etc. 

I don't think this artist knew he (or she) was doing a Zentangle, but it looks like one.
This is by Poli Marichal. It's a lino-cut called Regerenaciones/Transcendence.
 
 Lino-cuts are a lot harder to do than Zentangles.

What are Zentangles?  Doodles turned into art.
They were developed by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. They can be used as a form of meditation and relaxation. (You know, that space you can get into while doodling). Rick Roberts noticed that Maria (a calligrapher) was hard to reach while she was working on a very involved illuminated letter.
He was an ex- Buddhist monk and thought she might be in a Zen-type space (don't quote me on this- it's just my interpretation). 
Suzanne McNeill has a book called "Zentangle Basics", (by her publishing company-Design Originals)- which is a great way to get started.

Here's my first attempt- a bookmark. It's fun and really is relaxing.
 
Here's one by Suzanne showing how complex and beautiful they can be.

4 comments:

Blue Heron said...

I absolutely love yours. Aubrey Beardsley meets Escher meets Nancy. Really butiful. And a touch of Hiroshige.

Blue Heron said...

I mean Barbara, sorry!

North County Film Club said...

Everybody gets Nancy and my name mixed up. Even my mother used to do it. Also, no one can tell us apart on the phone.
Thanks for the compliment, though.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Gorgeous..I can't believe it's even related to a doodle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails