Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sepia Saturday- Good News, Bad News


I don't know anything about this cartoon. I'm not sure where it came from or how it got into my pile of stuff.  I don't even get the joke. But on the wall near the door is the name of the office (law firm? advertising agency?) and it's "Millman, Stokes & Finwall. That's me---Finwall.

It's from the Chicago Tribune-1981. My step-Grandfather worked there for many years but his name wasn't Finwall, although he was married to my grandmother who had been a Finwall. I think he was dead and gone from the Tribune way before the 80's.


Another ever so slightly odd thing is that my mother had a best friend named Stokes, but this was many years later and in California.

Such a mystery! I'm sure there's a lot more interesting things I could have written about but this was the first thing that popped up- so here it is.  A lazy Sepia Saturday!

Be sure and check out all the more interesting Sepia Saturdays at Sepia Saturday


8 comments:

Kristin said...

This is just the kind of cartoon my mother would have cut out and kept.

Sean Bentley said...

Strange. I suppose it has nothing to do with "One misty, moisty morning, When cloudy was the weather, I chanced to meet an old man, Clothed all in leather. He began to compliment And I began to grin. How do you do? And how do you do? And how do you do again?"

North County Film Club said...

Sean,
Maybe that's it...but still what does it have to do with the office and the receptionist?
I think I might be thinking too hard. I suppose it would be funny if these 3 salesmen just came dancing in.
Barbara

Marilyn & Jeff said...

How very intriguing, I wonder why it was kept. It would be great if you can find some family connection as it has your name in it.

Christine H. said...

It may have been an inside joke. And I don't suppose you're going to get rid of it either. The darn thing has staying power.

Nancy said...

It's probably just too late but I'm sitting here laughing at this cartoon. Look at the expression on the receptionist's face. Thanks for sending me to bed with a laugh.

Bruno Laliberté said...

was the receptionist expected to answer three times??? or would once suffice?
:D~
HUGZ

L. D. said...

I wonder if they thought she was three people in one and they wanted to great each one. It is a different kind of cartoon. I find things like this that my mom has clipped. Usually they were ones that she could show my dad to show how dumb men were. She liked that theme.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails